I managed to acquire an Amiga500 a few months back. I had been thinking about getting one for a while and when a a decent condition A500 with a few extra bits (IDE HD and 8Meg RAM) presented itself at a decent price I went for it.
Before obtaining the A500, the lowest spec Amiga which I have used for a number of years was an un-accelerated A1200. Due to this, I found the A500 for general use somewhat sluggish. True, I mainly purchased it to play some of the old classic games but I thought it would be kind of cool to expand its power somewhat so I went out to the interwebs to see what my options where.
Let me just say, I was completely underwhelmed by my options, basically there wasn’t any except for the Indivision ECS but nothing in the ompf department.
Both are not quite yet available but the ACA 500 is available for pre-order and the TurboFlyer 530 has been announced as becoming available on February 2014.
The ACA 500 is a new accelerator for the Amiga 500 and Amiga 500+ computer.
It offers faster performance, extra memory and Compact Flash card media slots which can be used for a bootable hard drive and Compact Flash media slot (add optional CF card below)
It also features an A1200-style expansion connector which is compatible with some A1200 expansions (see below for details).
- 68EC000/10 clocked at 14MHz, so will accelerate the Amiga 500’s performance
- 2 MB RAM of available memory on board: 0.5MB can be allocated to MapROM function
- External expansion which slots into side of A500 so there is no need to open the Amiga 500 case
- 1x Bootable Hard Drive Compact Flash card slot which is bootable and can read or write Amiga cards
- 1x Media Compact Flash slot which can read/write PC FAT formatted cards
- Compatible with existing trapdoor RAM expansions (up to 1.8 MB)
- Compatible with existing Chip Mem expansion upgrades
- Custom expansion port for local hardware (14 MHz 16 bit, double Zorro speed)
- Clock port for compatible hardware expansions such as Silversurfer or Catweasel Mk2 Anniversary Edition
- Optionally expandable by adding a new ACA 1220 ¹ or ACA 1232 accelerator card
- Licensed Kickstart ROM images 1.3 and 3.1 installed in onboard Flash ROM
- FAT95 file system installed in internal Flash ROM
- Compatible with WHDLoad game software
- Bootable Hard Drive Available ² (add optional CF card below) Add Compact Flash Card
- EasyADF software optionally available pre-installed on CF hard drive (add optional CF card with EasyADF below)
Elbox Computer is pleased to announce the new product for Amiga computers: TurboFlyer 530.
TurboFlyer 530 is a new 68030-based accelerator with integrated FastATA CF/SATA controller for Amiga 500/500+ and A2000 computers. TurboFlyer 530 it is an internal expansion, plugs into the 68000 processor socket.
- 68030 processor (with MMU) clocked at 40MHz
- 16MB of fast 32-bit DRAM memory on board
- Integrated FastATA CF/SATA controller:
- Fast transfer rate of up to 16.6MB/s
- Supports PIO-0, PIO-4 and PIO-5 modes
- Two buffered and terminated EIDE ports for four devices
- AllegroCDFS filesystem included
- LBA 48 support in the onboard BootROM (support of drives over 128GB)
- Automatically configured EIDE/CF/SATA/ATAPI devices
- Can boot from FAT16 and FAT32 formatted devices
- Includes custom expansion port for local hardware add-ons
- MapROM function (uses 1MB from 16MB of the on-board DRAM)
- Compatible with trapdoor Slow memory expansions (up to 1.8 MB)
- Compatible with Chip memory expansions
- Compatible with WHDLoad software
Pricing and availability:
TurboFlyer 530 will be on sale in February 2014 at the suggested retail price of 240 EUR (VAT excl.).