Hospitalised! :(

Well, I was looking forward to playing with my new AmigaOne  X1000, play with puppet a bit a few other bits and pieces and try to enjoy life a bit. Unfortunately I only got to play with the AmigaOne X1000 once before the excrement hit the rotating device on the ceiling.

On the 30th of April at ~9:15am on my way to work I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where some jerk who I am guessing had the need for a penis extension expressed via the vehicle he drove (Nissan Patrol, they are big) decided to to turn right into a the street I was riding past. I was on my trusty little Honda CB400 motorcycle which I have for the last three years and loved to bits, when this jerk in his Nissan Patrol with a bull bar carried out the deed with no indicator and no checking what was in front of him. Needless to say, motorcycle 0, Nissan Patrol with bull bar 1. I should mention that my bike was a total write off. I would also like to ask why in hell does anyone require a bull bar in Sydney? There is a distinct lack of wildlife or livestock in and around Sydney which would necessitate the need for one.

I suffered some pretty bad injuries the worst of which was to my right leg which basically burst open, the least was to my right arm which got broken. I can tell you it is not nice seeing leg bones sticking outside of your leg that should be inside of you or having your own personal fountain of blood spurting all over yourself while waiting for an Ambulance to turn up and suffering from rubber neckers at the same time.  During my tenure I have had doctors who operated on me tell me they were surprised I lived. I also managed to just keep my right lower leg and foot which I was told was a miracle. So you know, while in emergency just before they operated I was told they were going to amputate. It was definitely a surreal moment which the pain killers I was on only heightened. I can’t really do much with my foot but it is still there as a floppy extension of my leg at the moment.

During the operation I was told I required a large amount of blood transfusions, try 5 litres, which basically means they had to replace all the blood in my body. I was also informed that as they started to get ready to operate on me, I simply lost to much blood and well, basically stopped, nuff said. Surgery took 10 hours.  I also received 22 units of blood in my first week I was in ICU (intensive Care Unit) of which I was resident of for about 9 days.

Since then I have been sent to the Trauma Ward, then the HDU (High Dependency Unit) and back to the Trauma Ward. I have had the pleasure of blood clots on my lungs and in my legs and reaching 40 degrees centigrade amongst other fun things. I have had so many devices and tubes connected to me that I required a minimum of two staff to move me out of bed, thankfully this has now been reduced to one drip line.

During the first two days after the accident, I was so out of it I thought I was having a nightmare which I would wake up from, get up, get ready and go to work. On about the third day, I woke up and realised that what I was experiencing was no dream.

So far I have had about a dozen operations with more still to come and I am now coming up to 8 weeks in hospital and when finished here will be shuffled off to another hospital which specialises in rehabilitation.

So far I would like to thank the Ambulance officer who rode with me in the back of ambulance on my way to Emergency at the hospital and then came back to visit me 2 weeks later to see how I was going, this guy was seriously amazing by sizing up the situation and taking control of it straight away which was relief since the first Ambulance to the accident made the comment that they had no idea what to do and sounded freaked out. Also to the skill of the doctors who saved my life as well as my leg and foot. The nurses who in the most have been great and understanding. My other half for organising all the paper work and keeping my family involved, I know it was traumatic for her, she has not ridden her bike since the accident and my family, friends and work colleges for their support as well.

I remember when I first started riding a number of years ago and being asked by a work college at the time who also road, ‘How many people tried to kill you on your way to work today?’. It may sound funny, the problem is, it is closer to the truth than people realise. I have on a number of occasions needed to take emergency action to avoid being taken out by a moronic driver, hell I have even had one or two occasions when I have had drivers intentionally try and take me out. Unfortunately, the odds were against me this time and I was unable to get out of the way. If you are a car driver, don’t be a tool, please use the indicator so people know what the hell you are about to do and look properly, just because you can’t see anything out the corner of your eye, does not mean someone is not there!

That’s enough of my nonsensical rambling and excuse the poor grammar and spelling.

(Update: Not sure why I originally put August in rather than April, at least they both start with A)

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *