I am one of those strange people who use Opera as their web browser (not to mention slackware as their OS), well at home, at work I generally use Firefox for some reason but I digress. So I was sitting there using Opera and thinking I wonder what would be involved getting Google Chrome running on my Slackware64 desktop. So I did a bit of Googling, as one does, to get an idea.
My first place of arrival was the Chrome web site which only provided 32 and 64bit versions in .deb and .rpm format.
My next port of call was this website. I went through the steps suggested and it all installed fine, making me pretty happy. I found the Chrome icon in my KDE menu under internet as it should be and ran it, causing the little Chrome icon to bounce merrily up and down next to my pointer. Unfortunately that was all it did which greatly deflated my joy. I then ran it from the command line to see what errors it might spit out at me and found that it was missing libgconf.
I fired up sbopkg, did a search for libgconf and installed it. As it was installing I also read somewhere it needed Orbit2 which I installed via sbopkg once it had installed libgconf.
All done, I ran Chrome again only to find it needed the PAM libraries. This I couldn’t find via sbopkg so back to Google I went again and found this website which informed me the package existed on the Slackware install DVD within the extra/google-chrome directory. Popped the install DVD into the drive and sure enough it was there, along with the other libraries I needed, grrrr.
I also found a handful of other packages in this extras folder as well. Still, by using sbopkg, the version of libgconf is newer than the version on the CD.
To summaries on getting Google Chrome running under Slackware64 v13.37 (yes, it is very leet!):
- Install GConf “installpkg GConf-2.32.1-x86_64-1.txz”
- Install ORbit2 “installpkg ORBit2-2.14.19-x86_64-1.txz”
- Install PAM libs “installpkg google-chrome-pam-solibs-1.1.3-x86_64-1.txz”
- Install Google Chrome as per this website.